Honest feedback is often essential to ensure a project is successful, to provide feedback to a customer or to assist in the development of a key member in a team. Technical people are sometimes confused as to why their seemingly factual feedback is taken badly and so shy away from being truthful in order to protect the relationship of the person they are dealing with. Suggestions for improvement if not skillfully delivered can be interpreted as personal criticisms or highlighting of inadequacies.
This course provides a practical framework to help to plan and have a potentially emotional conversation with brutal honesty while protecting personal relationships. Conversations are real-time and technical people often struggle in-the-moment. The practical framework-based structure with conversational models fast-tracks the delegates to initiate critical conversations safely and provides recovery strategies to get the conversation back on a good footing when things go awry.
Who should attend?
Technical managers | Specialist engineers | Project managers
Anyone who wants to communicate more effectively
Upon completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Recognise a critical conversation and how emotions take them off track
- Plan a critical conversation using a foundational 3S-3F model
- Deploy advanced communication skills with emotional control
- Deal with difficult conversations using the advanced 5S-5F-3A model
- Close well with good follow-up